Saturday 3 November 2007

SIMPLE LIFESTYLE Sunday 4 November, Kim

Readings: Philippians 4:4-13 and Matthew 6: 19-34

Key Verse for Memory: Psalm 86: 11, 12
“Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart. I will glorify your name forever.”

We live in a world that is fast moving and hectic, full of instant and constant communication and action where little attention is given to reflection, meditation or careful thought. We need a Christian counter-culture and it will need to start with us.

Over the last few weeks in our sermon series entitled “Following in the Steps of the Master”, we have learnt that Jesus’ life was steeped in prayer and that he meditated on the word of God so much that he knew it off by heart and was even able to answer the devil back. When he needed guidance and strength to know His Father’s will, he would withdraw and pray, meditate, he would take rest periods. We need that kind pattern in our own lives; of reading, praying, meditating on God’s word so that we are drenched in it, and we need to take times of rest. I think we have our work cut out but I see a pattern in this Pray, Work, Rest and Praise. It seems to flow and forms a rhythm of simplicity which may lead to a simple life.

God is calling us back to a simple lifestyle and in both the Philippians and Matthew readings. It speaks about that and we need to take heed of what scripture is saying to us today and apply it and stop trying to keep up with the Jones’ and worrying about what we don’t have or think we need. Simple, isn’t it! (Of course!)

What do the readings have to say about a simple lifestyle? In Matthew Jesus asks three questions about Treasure, Vision and Loyalty. Let’s look at these one at a time.

A Question of Treasure (6:19-21) Jesus is comparing the durability of two treasures. Jesus implies that it should be easy to choose which to store up, because the treasures on earth are corruptible and insecure, whereas the treasures in heaven are incorruptible and secure. In other words; is it our intention to lay up treasure which will give greater protection against depreciation or deterioration or not? So what things was Jesus talking about when he told us not to lay up treasure for ourselves on earth? It may help if we list the things Jesus was not forbidding.

For instance Private Property: There is no ban on possessions in themselves. Nowhere in Scripture forbids private property. (see Acts 5:4) Insurance Policies "Saving for a rainy day" are not forbidden to Christians either. Life assurance policies are only a kind of saving by self imposed compulsion. On the contrary, Scripture praises the ant for storing in the summer the food it will need in the winter, (Proverbs 6:6) and declares that the believer who makes no provision for his family is worse than an unbeliever. (1 Tim. 5:8). Material Blessings, we are not to despise, but rather to enjoy the good things which our Creator has given us to enjoy. “Everything God has created is good" says Paul to Timothy. (1 Tim 4:3-4, 6:17) So neither having possessions, nor making provision for the future, nor enjoying the gifts of a good Creator are included in the ban on storing earthly treasure. So what is Jesus talking about? Selfish Accumulation Notice the text says, "do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth." Jesus is criticising extravagant and self-centred living; the hardness of heart which ignores the cries of the poor, the foolish fantasy that a person's significance and value is determined by how much we earn, by the clothes we wear, the car we drive, or our postcode. To "lay up treasure on earth" does not mean being prudent but being covetous. Jesus is not saying ‘no’ to making sensible provision for the future, but being greedy and always wanting more. The earthly treasure we covet, Jesus reminds us, "grows rusty and moth-eaten, and thieves break in to steal." (6:19) Simple isn’t it?

So what is this "treasure" in heaven? Jesus doesn't explain, but I believe it must have something to do with earthly activity which lasts for eternity. We can make deposits in our spiritual bank account that prepare us for eternity. Worship is never wasteful in the eyes of God. Every act of private and corporate worship is a deposit in your heavenly bank account.” May I encourage you to make deposits daily in private and weekly with your Christian family. Would you buy a used car with no service history? Bit of a risk isn’t it? Ignore the service history and you are heading for trouble. A breakdown is never convenient. You need a service every seven days. If you want treasure in heaven, make the minimum of weekly deposits. We need a Christ-like CharacterThe Bible clearly teaches us that if we want to lay up treasure in heaven, one of the best investment strategies is personal character development. The apostle Peter put it like this: “Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.” (1 Peter 3:8-9) Christ-like character, and those who come to know Jesus through us, are the only things we take with us to heaven. Expressions of Generosity Every time we show an act of compassion, we build up our treasure in heaven. There is a record of your deeds in heaven. Listen `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' (Matthew 25:40). We might also consider the investment we make in leading other people to Jesus who will share eternity with us. Simple isn’t it?!

Vision - What is your Ambition in Life? (6:22-23) Jesus turns from the durability of the two treasures to the benefits received from two conditions. For the way we view the world will determine what we treasure. The contrast here is now between someone who is blind and someone who can see. Read 6:22. Almost everything we do depends on our ability to see. We need to see in order to walk or run, drive a car, cross a road, etc. The eye illuminates what the body does through its hands and feet. In the Bible, the eye is frequently synonymous with the heart, motivation, our desire. Just as the eye gives light to the body, so a Christ-centred heart throws light on everything we do. A money-focused life on the other hand leads only to fear and darkness, to introspective self-centredness. What do you want to be known for in this life? Greed or generosity? And it’s all summed up in the last question.

Loyalty - Who are we Serving? (6:24) Jesus explains that behind the choice between two treasures (where we store them) and two visions (where we fix our eyes), there lies the still more basic choice between two masters (who are we going to serve). It is a choice between God and money, between the Creator himself and any object of our own creation. We cannot serve both. When I was in my late teens, one summer, I had two part time jobs on the go at the same time. I worked in a pub at night, three nights a week collecting glasses and washing them up, and served in a bakery during the day. Neither knew of the existence of the other. It worked out fine. Until August Bank Holiday Monday. Both employers assumed I would work all day and neither was happy to learn I was working for someone else. I had to choose. It may be possible to work for two employers, but no slave can be the property of two owners. Anybody who tries to divide his allegiance between God and money has already given in to money, since we can only serve God with an entire and exclusive devotion. To try to share him with other loyalties is to opt for idolatry. God has entrusted us with all we have. When the choice is seen for what it really is - a choice between Creator and creature, between the glorious personal God and a miserable thing called money, between worship and idolatry - it seems inconceivable that anybody could make the wrong choice. Yet many do. Which God are we going to choose today? For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Simple isn’t it?!

In both readings Jesus talks about worrying and some people are more prone to worry than others. Do you worry? I do. Jesus has a word for us this morning. The main worry Jesus is concerned with is the worry caused by materialism. This is clear from the Verse 24 it says “you cannot serve both God and money.” What does Jesus mean? Why are we not to worry? Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. Jesus gives us several reasons why we should not worry.

Worry is to Miss the Point of Life (Matthew 6:25) Jesus tells us life is far more important than material things. So often our worries are about relatively unimportant and trivial matters, such as food, drink, clothing, houses and cars. Worry is Illogical and a waste of time (Matthew 6:26, 27) Worry is actually a slander on God's character. Worry suggests that God is more interested in his pets than in his children. Worry is illogical because it is futile, unproductive and pointless. Jesus reminds us we cannot add anything to our life. Worry can only subtract from our lives by causing things like ulcers or a coronary thrombosis. Most things that we worry about never happen anyway. Worry is incompatible with Faith and is sub-Christian (Matthew 6:28-30, 32) Faith and anxiety are like fire and water. Faith means trust. Trust in God's care and provision. To be a Christian is to walk in a trusting relationship with God. But sin interferes with that relationship and leads to worry. So worry is not only incompatible with faith, it is actually sub-Christian. Having a primary concern with material needs is the characteristic of unbelievers, says Jesus. Some of these worryies may be modest, such as food, drink and clothing. But others are more commonly found in Camberley: a bigger house, a new car, a better salary, reputation, fame or power. But all these are pagan because they are self-centred and do not satisfy. Oophs!

When we trust in Jesus and receive him as our Lord and Saviour we are born into his family and become children of God. We can be assured that God knows our every need. If our loving Father knows our needs we can trust him for them. Not our wants but certainly our needs. God promises to provide for our needs if we get our priorities right. Indeed, the Bible is full of such promises. For example, the apostle Paul writes, 'We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.' (Romans 8:28). Sometimes, as Paul knew only too well and Jesus experienced, our situation may be difficult or painful. Yet God will walk with us and hold our hand and use adversity to build our character. The result may be increased intimacy with God, greater spiritual insight or far deeper faith with which to encourage and affirm others. Worry Contradicts Common Sense (Matthew 6:34) God intends us to live one day at a time. God has given us our lives in units of twenty-four hours and we should take life a day at a time. If we wish to live a long and fruitful life, we should respect and live by the biological clock he has built inside us. Fiona Castle, who had to face the stress of her husband Roy's battle against cancer, wrote this in her book ‘Give Us This Day’:

“Recently a friend commented to me that many people live their life as though it were a dress rehearsal for the real thing. But in fact, by tonight, we will have given the only performance of 'today' that we will ever give. So we have to put our heart, our energy and honesty and sincerity into what we do every day. As a show business family, we find that a very suitable illustration. And every show comes to the end of its run, when we must lay aside the costumes and step off the stage, into another, larger world. So as we pray the prayer Jesus taught us, we ask God to 'Give us this day' - thankfully receiving one day at a time - looking to him to sustain us with everything we need, whether it be food, shelter, love of family and friends, or courage and hope to face the future. And at the same time we echo the words of the psalmist: 'This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it' (Psalm 118:24).

Jesus calls us to a higher, nobler ambition - to seek God’s kingdom, in his way. We are to seek his rule and reign in our lives, in our marriages, in our home, in our family and in our lifestyle. We are also to seek it in the lives of others - our friends, relations, neighbours, and in the community. There are many examples of men and women who, in God's strength, have made a great impact on society because they have been passionate about God’s kingdom and God’s righteousness. These men and women lead simple lifestyles to seek God’s Kingdom in all that they did. And on one hand it is easy to say let’s lead a simple lifestyle but we know that in order to do that we need to make changes in our own lives seeking the Father to lovingly show us what to change for Jesus said 'Seek first my Father’s kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well'. That is how to stop worrying and start living a simple lifestyle.

A prayer…….
Father, you told me not to be afraid because You are with me, You will uphold me, and those who come against me will not succeed (Isaiah 41:10-11). You said no evil would come upon me, nor any plague touch my home for You have ordered Your angels to protect me (Psalm 91:10-11). You said when I walk through the rivers of difficulty (when I’m in over my head) You won’t let me drown, and when I walk through fires of adversity (when the heat is on) You won’t allow me to get burned for You are watching over me (Isaiah 43:2-3). You said no weapon formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17). I cannot keep the enemy’s weapons from being formed, but I know You will keep them from prospering. You said if I ask anything according to Your will, You would grant my request (1 John 5:14-15). You said when I walk in obedience before You I will be blessed when I come in and when I go out, blessed when I lie down and blessed when I get up (Deuteronomy 28:6). You told me to give all my troubles to You and You would take care of me (1 Peter 5:7). So here they are! Today I’m standing on Your Word. You said it! I believe it! That settles it! Amen.


SMALL GROUP WORK for SIMPLE LIFESTYLE

I have made several references to bible verses in my script and perhaps you may like to look them up as an exercise and learn them for yourself.
Matthew 6:19-34

A Question of Treasure – 6:19-21 Christ-like Character – 1 Peter 3:8-9
A Question of Vision – 6:22-23 Generosity – Matthew 25:40
A Question of Loyalty – 6:24 Vision – Matthew 6:22-23
Private Property – see Acts 5:4 Loyalty – Matthew 6:24
Insurance Policies – Proverbs 6:6 and 1 Timothy 5:8 Worry – Matthew 6:25, 26, 27,28, 30 32
Material Blessing – 1 Timothy 4:3-4, 6:17 Romans8:28, Matthew 6:34
Selfish Accumulation – Matthew 6:19 Psalm 118:24

1. Jesus placed the words of scripture on his heart and looked at what His heavenly Father did and was doing and recited them and acted has His Father did. In your own lifestyle what areas need changing? Are you content (See 1 Timothy 6:3-10) with what you have or do you find yourself hankering for more of ……whatever?
2. Do you find being generous or Christ-like easy? Does it depend on who it is?
3. What do you value most: prayer? meditation? silence? Is there any of these you would like more of? (If yes, does anyone in the group have any tips or books that can be of help to you?)
4. Do you find the following prayer (slightly tongue in cheek) helpful or not? Why?
Father,
you told me not to be afraid because You are with me, You will uphold me, and those who come against me will not succeed (Isaiah 41:10-11). You said no evil would come upon me, nor any plague touch my home for You have ordered Your angels to protect me (Psalm 91:10-11). You said when I walk through the rivers of difficulty (when I’m in over my head) You won’t let me drown, and when I walk through fires of adversity (when the heat is on) You won’t allow me to get burned for You are watching over me (Isaiah 43:2-3). You said no weapon formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17). I cannot keep the enemy’s weapons from being formed, but I know You will keep them from prospering. You said if I ask anything according to Your will, You would grant my request (1 John 5:14-15). You said when I walk in obedience before You I will be blessed when I come in and when I go out, blessed when I lie down and blessed when I get up (Deuteronomy 28:6). You told me to give all my troubles to You and You would take care of me (1 Peter 5:7).
So here they are! Today I’m standing on Your Word. You said it! I believe it! That settles it! Amen.

No comments: