Saturday 2 July 2011

Sunday 3 July 2011 Thought for the Day - The Besom Broom, Anne

“Besom” - a broom, especially one made of a bundle of twigs tied to a handle.

My birch twigs see all the dark corners of people’s lives;

where the detritus of life gathers,

where the dirt sullies the sparkle and sticks – like glue.

But I don’t just see … I make changes,

I sweep into those places where people struggle to be someone,

to be something or even just to be.

I sweep where the history of grime affects the present;

where people struggle to keep on top of everyday living,

where people feel the world is against them,

where people can't afford to start afresh.

Why bother, you might ask?

You’ll only have to brush again next week?

Or maybe you’ll have to go and brush somewhere else?

But, even that temporary respite gives comfort.

Knowing that someone wants to sweep away your suffering,

and knowing that someone cares, makes a difference.

My birch twigs though are useless individually,

but collectively, working together, they hook onto the dust,

marshalling it away from the edges, into neat little piles.

Backwards and forwards, side to side,

sweeping away the past – tidying –

giving the opportunity for someone to launch into a different life,

to make a fresh, clean start.

Sometimes, I hear people saying things like:

“that broom is wonderful – a miracle tool – what a difference!”

or “Look how clean that floor is”

“Is it the twigs, how they are arranged round the handle?”

or “Is it because it’s eco-friendly and made with all natural materials?”

No … of course not. You see, I am just a broom,

useless by myself…useless without the one who wields me,

the one who transforms my inert, spikey, brittle twigs

and round, wooden handle into something useful.

The one who knows where I need to go,

the one who guides me,

the one who turns me in the direction I need to follow,

who gently encourages me to get alongside,

the one who creates the real sparkle,

the real light to lighten up those dark places,

the one who cleanses and refreshes.

And who is it?

He’s the name above all names: -

the one who heals outcasts,

the one who touches lepers,

the one who speaks to the unspeakable

He’s the one who we serve to serve others.

He’s the one who says:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will

find rest for your souls.”

No comments: